No. 2 Field Hockey Falls in Overtime to No. 6 Babson, 3-2

MEDFORD - Today's field hockey game between Tufts and Babson was a matchup of two of last year's NCAA Final Four teams. Two second half goals to send it to overtime wasn't enough for the Jumbos as they fell to the Beavers, 3-2.

Celia Lewis tied the game with her first goal of the season

The Jumbos fell to 1-1 (1-0-0 NESCAC) as Babson improved to 5-0 (0-0-0 NEWMAC).

The first goal of the game came from Babson just eight minutes in when they found themselves on a breakaway and Tori Roche made a clean pass from the left side of the circle, finding Carla DiBiase on the right side who was able to put the ball in the back of the net for her third goal of the season.  

Babson also landed the second goal of the game late in the first half on an unassisted goal by Kate Driscoll, her third of the season, putting the Beavers up 2-0 going into halftime.

The Jumbos came out and dominated the second half, outshooting Babson 11-2 and beating them in the penalty corner battle (7-0).

It wasn't until 25 minutes into the second half when Mary Travers scored her second goal of the season on a pass from Gigi Tutoni, and the momentum shifted heavily in Tufts' favor.

Just three minutes later Tufts tied the game on a corner. Marguerite Salamone inserted the ball to the top of the circle and Celia Lewis ripped it right past the defense to knot the game at two. The Jumbos had a few more opportunities to take the lead late in the second half off of corners and a couple of good looks in the circle, but were unable to score, eventually sending the game into overtime.

Nearly five minutes into the overtime period, Celia Lewis took a shot from the top of the circle off of a corner that seemed to be tipped in front of the net for a game-winning goal by the Jumbos. However, after the referees discussed the play the shot would be ruled illegal and the game would continue.

Not even two minutes later the Beavers had numbers up field and Roche was able to score the game-winning goal from right in front of the page off a perfect crossing pass from Ashley Tango.

The Jumbos finished with the advantage in shots (19-9) and penalty corners (10-2), while Babson goalie Deirdre Barry made nine saves and her Tufts counterpart Emily Polinski made one save.

Babson will play again on Saturday at home against MIT, an 11:30 am start time. The Jumbos will return to Ounjian Field on Saturday against Connecticut College at 12:00 pm.


Written by Will Ferreira, Athletic Communications Intern