Trinity Women's Lacrosse Charges Out to Early Lead, Takes 11-7 NESCAC Win over Tufts

Lindsey Walker caused three turnovers for the Jumbos

MEDFORD – The Trinity College women's lacrosse team scored the first four goals of the game and never looked back as the sixth-ranked Bantams defeated 18th-ranked Tufts University 11-7 in New England Small College Athletic Conference action.

The Bantams opened the scoring just 1:52 into the contest as Caroline Hayes (Greenland, NH) scored the first of her three goals on the day with an unassisted tally. Lindsay Mullaney (Boston, MA) followed with a pair of goals in the next 1:53 for a 3-0 Trinity lead. Kathleen Timmons (Branford, CT) assisted on the first Mullaney goal and the second was a free-position shot.

Martha Griffin (Exeter, NH) moved the advantage to 4-0 with a free-position shot of her own before Tufts got a free-position goal from Kate Applegate (Chadds Ford, PA) to cut the deficit to three with 19:33 remaining in the opening stanza.

The lead moved back to four when Hayes netted her second goal of the game on an assist from Emma Malicki (Loudenville, NY). Tufts then went on a 3-0 run with goals by Brigid Bowser (Westborough, MA), Kali DiGate (Wilmington, DE) from Caroline Ross (Sewickley, PA), and Annie Artz (Gates Mills, OH) assisted by DiGate to close the gap to 5-4 with 10:20 left in the period.

Molly Cox (Norwell, MA) tallied her first of two goals on a free-position shot just over two minutes before halftime, and Hayes completed her hat trick with a free-position tally of her own with two ticks left on the first-half clock for a 7-4 Bantam lead.

It took Trinity just 59 clicks off the second half clock to raise the lead to 8-4 as Cox netted her second goal off Timmons' second assist. Bowser netted an unassisted marker less than three minutes later to draw the Jumbos to within three, but that was as close as Tufts would come the remainder of the afternoon as Trinity's Griffin found net with an unassisted goal and then a free-position shot for a 10-5 Bantam lead.

Unassisted goals by Ross and Gabby Horner (Allentown, NJ) pulled the Jumbos to within 10-7 with 3:23 remaining. Despite controlling the ball for the majority of the final few minutes the Jumbos were unable to get shots off, and Mullaney notched her third score of the day for the 11-7 final.

Trinity won 20 of 33 ground balls during the day, and had 13 turnovers to 18 for the Jumbos. The Bantams held a 23-22 edge in shots.  Rachel Gallimore (Hanover, NH) made seven saves for Tufts, while Emily Morton (New York, NY) stopped five Jumbo shots.

Trinity (6-2, 3-1 NESCAC) will next travel to Bowdoin College next Saturday, while the Jumbos (4-3, 1-2 NESCAC) are also idle until then when they travel to New London, CT, for a contest against Connecticut College. Both games are slated for a noon face-off.