Hamilton Pool is home to the Tufts University Men's and Women's Swimming teams. The pool has six lanes that are 25 yards in length and a diving board.
It was the first permanent construction project completed after World War II at Tufts, designed by Tufts architect Arland Dirlam. Built as an addition to the Cousens Gymnasium structure, the pool was constructed during the winter of 1945-46 and opened the following summer. Although the pool was originally intended to be named "Fletcher Swimming Pool," since its construction costs were partially financed by Austin B. Fletcher Estate funds, it was instead named for Frederick W. Hamilton, A1888, who was the fourth president of Tufts College.
Swimming lessons are offered at Tufts University’s Hamilton Pool as a fund raiser for the Men’s and Women’s Swimming and Diving teams' winter break training trip. Instructors are members of the Tufts Swimming and Diving team. Two sessions are offered per college academic year—early fall and early spring. Visit the Tufts Swimming lessons website for more information.
Recreational swimming by the campus community is available seven days a week and is supervised by certified life guards.
Hamilton Pool is the oldest aquatics facility in the New England Small College Athletic Conference. Tufts is currently fund-raising to build a new aquatics center, which would transform not only the Jumbo swimming and diving program, but also campus-wide recreation and fitness and wellness programming.