Men's Soccer Plays to a 1-1 Draw in Double Overtime Against Middlebury

MIDDLEBURY, Vt.- Third-ranked Tufts men's soccer drew a 1-1 tie in double overtime on Saturday afternoon against Middlebury on South Street Field.

Weatherbie netted the equalizer in the 1-1 double overtime draw

The lone Jumbo goal came in the 20th minute, as junior midfielder Brett Rojas took a free kick on the left side of the field and was able to get it through the Panther backline to senior back Sterling Weatherbie who struck one past Middlebury keeper Matthew Hyer to even the score.

Tufts (9-0-1, 5-0-1 NESCAC) came into the contest 3-0-0 on the road. Middlebury (4-2-3, 2-2-2 NESCAC) came out as the aggressors early as they created a penalty kick opportunity in the second minute. Senior midfielder Daniel O'Grady stepped up to take the penalty kick and booted the ball into the right corner of the net past the diving senior goalie Conner Mieth of the Jumbos to give the Panthers a 1-0 edge.

The Jumbos came back as the aggressors as freshman back Ian Daly fired a shot on net from the left side that was saved by Hyer of the Panthers in the seventh minute. Over the course of the next 10 minutes, Tufts struck three shot attempts. The Weaterbie goal was his second of the season and Rojas registered his second helper of the season.

For the next 25 minutes, Tufts dominated the time of possession and created two corner kick opportunities. The defenses stepped up and wouldn't let either offense through as there were no shots on goal after the Weatherbie strike.

In the first half, the Jumbos outshot the Panthers six (two on goal) to three (one on goal). Hyer recorded one save in the first 45 minutes. Tufts generated three corners to Middlebury's one. The action got chippy as the Panthers committed 12 fouls to the Jumbos' nine. The brown and blue held possession much of the half.

The second half started with some physical play as there were four fouls within the first 10 minutes. Junior forward Ben Potter of the Panthers took the half's first shot that sailed high in the 48th minute. The Jumbos created a corner kick opportunity in which sophomore midfielder Travis Van Brewer booted the ball in finding the foot of junior midfielder Zach Lane, but the shot was saved by Hyer. Lane had another chance in the 61st minute that was also saved.

Tufts continued to attack the Panther defense when they created another corner kick opportunity off the foot of junior midfielder Jack Delaney. Sophomore midfielder Derek Enge was in the right place as the ball found his right foot, but he sent it high over the right post in the 68th minute. The physical play continued as there were eight fouls and two yellow cards handed out within the next eight minutes of play.

Middlebury had their best rush of the second half when they came down the right side of the field with numbers, but junior midfielder Fazl Shaikh put the ball wide right of the net in the 73rd minute. The Jumbos had one last chance in the 86th minute off another corner of Rojas that found the head of sophomore back Biagio Paoletta, but the header went high. The brown and blue's defense was sensational as only one shot got on goal during regulation.

Each team created a shot in the first overtime, but neither were able to find the back of the net. In the 93rd minute, sophomore midfielder Raffi Barsamian put a corner into play that got to junior defenseman Henry Wilhelm, but the shot was saved by Mieth. In the rest of that overtime, both sides couldn't generate another opportunity.

In the second overtime, the Jumbos dominated the time of possession and created three Middlebury fouls. Lane had a quality shot saved by Hyer in the 107th minute to keep the Panthers alive. The last chance of the game came in the 109th minute as Lane attempted two shots, but neither found the goal.

For the back and forth game, Tufts edged Middlebury in shots 16 (five on goal) to eight (two on goal). Hyer played well tallying six saves. Mieth stopped one Panther shot in the tie. The Jumbos dominated the Panthers in corner opportunities generating nine to Middlebury's four. There were a total of 45 fouls called, 19 on Tufts and 26 on Middlebury in this physical contest. Lane led the game in shots on goal with three.

Tufts will return to action on Tuesday when they host non-conference opponent Babson at 7:00 pm at Bello Field. Middlebury will travel to Utica on Monday for a 4:30 kickoff.


Written By Athletic Communications Intern Bryan Costello