TENNIS FINAL SCORE
Bates 6, Tufts 3
At Lewiston, ME
Sunday, May 2, 2010
1. Kai Victoria/Jake Fountain (T) def. Amrit Rupasinghe/Matt Bettles (B) 9-7
2. Max Berger/Jeffrey Beaton (B) def. Ben Barad/Andrew Lutz (T) 8-5
3. Paul Kohnstamm/Daniel Landers (T) def. Zach Fenno/Rob Crampton (B) 8-3
1. Rupasinghe (B) def. Fountain (T) 6-0, 6-3
2. Bettles (B) def. Andrew Rosen (T) 6-3, 6-3
3. Berger (B) def. Victoria (T) 6-4, 6-1
4. Mike Reiss (B) def. Sam Laber (T) 6-1, 6-3
5. Crampton (B) def. Barad (T) 3-6, 7-6 (4), (10-7)
6. Lutz (T) def. Fenno (B) 7-5, 4-6, (10-4)
|Kai Victoria was part of a Tufts win at #1
LEWISTON, Me. -- The Bates College men's tennis team wrapped up the regular season with a 6-3 NESCAC victory over Tufts University on Sunday at the Wallach Tennis Center.
Bates, ranked No. 26 nationally and No. 7 in New England, finishes 11-6 overall and 5-4 in NESCAC play. Tufts, ranked No. 14 in New England, drops to 7-8 overall and 3-5 in the NESCAC. With the win, Bates hopes to be named when the six-team field for the NESCAC Men's Tennis Championship is announced on Monday.
Tufts seized a 2-1 lead after doubles play, as sophomore Kai Victoria (Miami, FL) and junior Jake Fountain (Nassau, Bahamas) topped Amrit Rupasinghe and Matt Bettles at first doubles, while junior tri-captain Paul Kohnstamm (Larchmont, NY) and senior tri-captain Daniel Landers (Sao Paulo, Brazil) prevailed 8-3 over Bates' Zach Fenno and Rob Crampton at third doubles.
Rupasinghe and Bettles avenged their doubles loss by winning the top two singles matches. Senior Max Berger, who teamed up with sophomore Jeffrey Beaton to win at second doubles for Bates, also prevailed in straight sets at third singles. Senior Mike Reiss won in straight sets at fourth singles, and Crampton prevailed in a hard-fought match over Ben Barad at fifth singles. The lone Jumbo singles win came after the team scored had been determined, with freshman Andrew Lutz (Baltimore, MD) winning a super tie-breaker at #6.
Match release courtesy of Bates College.